We want to hear from you.
Find out about this project and how you can stay up to date.
We are in the final stages of planning our upgrade to the water network in Howard St, Victoria St and Rathdown Street.
The current water main is ageing and is in need of replacement.
This upgrade will create more capacity in the system to ensure reliable water supply now and into the future, as well as increased protection against water loss and leaks.
The project will be delivered for Greater Western Water by Jaydo Construction, with construction to begin in August 2022 and be completed in mid-2023.
Works will start in Howard Street, North Melbourne and then we continue along the northern side Victoria Street towards Carlton.
The water main renewal will be delivered with a combination of day and night works. Whilst we will work hard to minimise disruption and inconvenience while we deliver the project, you may experience road closures and impacts from our construction activity.
Our project team will work closely with residents, local business visitors to the area to make sure that you know how these works will impact you and how we are here to help.
Works will start on Howard Street, North Melbourne on 1 August 2022. We expect that these works will take approximately 3 weeks to be completed.
During this time you will see:
- A full closure of the western side of Howard Street and the cycling lane will be in place during construction hours. Traffic management teams will be in the area to assist with business deliveries, and access to driveways and properties.
- A full closure of car parking lane on the western side of Howard Street will be in place at all times, including weekends. Vehicles will not be able to enter or exit car parking in the centre of the road via the western side of Howard Street during construction hours. We’ll notify you should works disrupt access to Moss Lane and Gardiner Street.
- From 1 August 2022, there will be a partial closure, during construction hours, of the Queensberry Street roundabout for approximately three days, with detours in place. Please plan ahead as these changes may result in delays.
We’re undertaking investigation works in Victoria Street to finalise the water main design, which involves surveying and drilling boreholes to locate all underground services.
Works are planned to take place on Victoria Street from Elizabeth Street to Nicholson Street from 16 May 2022 to 17 June, taking 3 to 4 days in each location.
Works are planned to be undertaken at night, between 8pm and 6am on Sunday to Thursday, as we move through the area.
Water main renewal location shown in map below. Works will be staged over time to minimise impact.
How can I get involved?
During the project there will be opportunities to be involved and learn more about the project.
- Register - via the form to receive updates and information about out works.
- Telephone - if you know someone who may not have access to our online information, they can call our project team to give them feedback.
- Visit - we have a site office located at 48 Howard Street, North Melbourne. This office is open during business hours for you to meet with one of our engagement team to discuss the project.